The CP12 Gas safety certificate

Landlord Safety InspectionsLandlords have specific legal responsibilities to their tenants when it comes to gas safety

Understanding the law for rental accommodation

  • As a landlord, you are responsible for the safety of your tenants. Landlords’ duties apply to a wide range residential premises provided for rent by local authorities, housing associations, private sector landlords, housing co-operatives, hostels

The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 deal with landlords’ duties to make sure gas appliances, fittings and flues provided for tenants are safe.

  • All installation, maintenance and safety checks need to be carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
  • If a tenant has their own gas appliance that you have not provided, then you are responsible for the maintenance of the gas pipework but not for the actual appliance.
  • You should also make sure your tenants know where to turn off the gas and what to do in the event of a gas emergency.

Landlord’s responsibilities

If you let a property equipped with gas appliances you have three main responsibilities:

  • Maintenance: pipework, appliances and flues must be maintained in a safe condition. Gas appliances should be serviced in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions. If these are not available it is recommended that they are serviced annually unless advised otherwise by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
  • Gas safety checks: a 12 monthly gas safety check must be carried out on every gas appliance/flue.  A gas safety check will make sure gas fittings and appliances are safe to use.
  • Record: a record of the annual gas safety check must be provided to your tenant within 28 days of the check being completed or to new tenants before they move in. Landlords must keep copies of the gas safety record for two years


  • Certified by only registered Gas Safety Engineers
  • Gas certificate produced onsite and same day
  • No hidden costs
  • Fixed price
  • All our engineers are fully insured
  • High quality service
  • Special 2014 offer
  • Annual boiler service and CP12 £95
  • Flue analyzing
  • Carbon Monoxide testing

What are the signs that your gas appliance needs servicing?

Gas appliances should be serviced regularly but if you notice any of the warning signs below you should arrange for a Gas Safe registered engineer to service your appliance as soon as possible:

  • Your gas appliance is not working properly
  • Flames are lazy yellow instead of a crisp blue
  • You can see black marks or stains on or around your gas appliances
  • The pilot light keeps going out
  • There is increased condensation in the room

Check us out on gas safe register. Registration number 523970